Trouble viewing this email? Read it online. |
March 01, 2013 CNET Community |  |
Please help me understand today's tablet craze?! Dear CNET members,
Happy Friday! This week's topic comes from CNET member John, who wants you to help him understand why people are going so nuts over tablets. He questions it because there is little data storage in them, onscreen keyboards are pathetic, tablet prices are high, and comparing them to laptops, it just doesn't make much sense to him. Bottom line, are tablets just a fad?
Well, John, you sparked quite a conversation among our members with your question. Many people chimed to tell you why they bought a tablet, how they use it, and why it fits their needs. Yet on the other side of the spectrum you have folks who explained why they haven't bought into the tablet craze and probably won't ever.
Now here's my perspective on tablets. To me personally, tablets aren't meant to be a laptop or desktop replacement, as they are secondary computing devices. I own a laptop and a desktop and primarily use those for work and to run applications that can't run on tablets. For me a tablet is an extension of my PC, used for light-duty computing like surfing the Internet, checking e-mail, reading e-books, following news, and of course for streaming videos and playing games.
With a tablet I can do these things without being tied to one place, not only on vacation, but around town and within my home. My tablet is really lightweight and portable, has great battery life, and is convenient. You won't find me using it for any heavy computing tasks, or for writing papers (a regular keyboard is still much faster), using spreadsheets, photo editing, and so on, because to me a tablet wasn't meant for that -- I save that for my other computers.
Now can I live without a tablet? Sure I can, but in many ways the tablet has added convenience to my lifestyle and I will continue to use one in the future. Is it for everyone? No, it isn't, but I don't think tablets are going away anytime soon, and I haven't even mentioned all the ways my kids use it. Now enough of my two cents, let me turn over the microphone to your fellow members. So go on and read this week's discussion and if you have any opinions on tablets, please state them. Hopefully by the end of this great discussion, you'll get a better sense of what is about tablets that make them so popular and if you think they're just a fad or not. Thanks to everyone for your contributions and have a great weekend! | | | |
 | | Q: | Please help me understand today's tablet craze?! | | I don't understand about the mobile tablets. I have used and programmed computers for over 30 years. I have always told everyone that laptops are so mobile. Now, everyone has gone nuts about tablets. Why???? There is little storage. The keyboard screen is pathetic. A tablet has no screen protection unless you buy a case. Don't get me wrong, I use touch screen phones but typing on a physical board is sooo much faster. Now, I was told that using a tablet with a printer can be very difficult. What is going on? I thought that maybe the cost is the key. Now there is an Apple iPad that costs $1000. Great laptops cost less! Please help me understand this craze, is this a fad? Your thoughts are appreciated. | | | -- Submitted by: John C. | | | A: | Featured answers of the week | | • | "Looking Toward the Future of Touchpads & Laptops " | | | -- Submitted by: High Desert Charlie | | | • | "It's really not complicated to comprehend..." | | | -- Submitted by: Wolfie2k5 | | | • | "Tablet pros and cons " | | | -- Submitted by: pcwizard2600 | | | • | "Tablets are great as a personal organiser..." | | | -- Submitted by: darrenforster99 | | | • | "Say What? " | | | -- Submitted by: Call_Me | | | • | "Portable, fast to open, long battery life" | | | -- Submitted by: emmeandfriends | | | • | "Travel, ebooks, photo album, speed, battery life... " | | | -- Submitted by: onemoremile | | | Click here to read all member contributions
| | | Thanks to all who contributed!
Click here to see all previous Community newsletters |  | | Q: Ready for solid-state drive, but long-term reliability has me worried | | Now that solid-state drives are coming down in price, I am thinking of swapping the hard drive I have in my laptop for a 256 GB solid-state drive. However, I have read in the past that these drives use flash technology and this technology is only good for a large but finite number of write requests before it starts to fail. Since some files, such as swap space, are used pretty heavily, is long-term reliability going to be an issue? Based on this concern, are there any instances when an SSD isn't recommended? Also, are there any performance specs that we should consider while choosing a solid-state drive? Thanks for any suggestions. | | -- Submitted by: Phil B. | If you have an answer to this question, click here and click the "reply" to submit your advice, suggestions, opinions, or tips.
|  | | Have a tech-related question? | Click here to e-mail us on one of these topics: | • | Hardware & software | • | Home audio & video | | • | Internet security | • | Cameras & video | | • | Mobile devices | • | Digital media & design | | | Need help tech right away? Don't wait for us, post your questions in the CNET Forums for all the tech help and how-tos. | | |  | | |  | | This week's winner gets two smart-looking iPad cases from German firm Kavaj. The accessories boast a classic, minimalist style and feel great to the touch. Click here to enter the Crave giveaway. | | | |
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.